Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Valentine's Day!

I got the best present of all -- Don's PSA score was Zero, which means NO MORE PROSTATE CANCER.  Life can resume.  Once I finish my happy dance and recover from tonight's celebration, that is, life can resume.  :-)

On our way down to the doctor's this morning, we were listening to the CBC (as always).  Today, of course, they were talking about all sorts of different love-related issues.  They had a fabulous advocate from the U.S. (forget his name, sorry!) talking about the work he's been doing with politicians regarding gay marriage and equal rights, and how he was trying to make sure that kids growing up now would know that love wasn't an evil thing, no matter what the hate-filled folks try to convince you.  My heart was filled.

And, of course, that's what it all boils down to -- whether equal rights or any other number of issues.  Love.    Love is "all you need", it's all that is ever really ours.  Love is good, love is beautiful, no matter what the hate-filled folks try to do to you, if you have love in your heart, they will never succeed.

I was reminded of this song I wrote a few years ago.  It never really took off -- probably because I was back to my old wordy self with this one -- but the sentiment still rings true for me.  Maybe if I edit it a bit, I'll go back to it.  In the meantime, a good reminder for all.


I Won't Apologize for Love


You can't always control where the waters flow, or see a wave until it starts to grow
And while I'm sorry you got lost in the undertow, I won't apologize for love
I'm sorry if fate was a little mindless, that you never learned how to give or receive kindness
That instead you chose the path of blindness
But I won't apologize for love, no, I won't apologize for love


I'm sorry for all that was left unspoken, for that pivotal moment that you've kept frozen
And I'm sorry that your heart was broken, but I won't apologize for love
I'm sorry you never could appreciate all the delicacies that were heaped on your plate
That instead you chose the path of hate
But I won't apologize for love, no, I won't apologize for love


     It never was a contest, don't treat it like a game
     Stop looking for a saviour or just someone to blame
     'Cause I'll stand for all that's true, and I will not be ashamed of love love love love love


In dishing out blame, you've been a top producer, tearing old wounds we were trying to suture
Well, I'm sorry we couldn't predict the future, but I won't apologize for love
Life isn't as simple as you'd like to pretend, trying to hammer us back into our boxes again
I'm sorry you chose the path of revenge
But I won't apologize for love, no, I won't apologize for love


I'm sorry that you were ill-equipped to deal with the scenes you wanted to skip
When the characters wouldn't stay true to your script, but I won't apologize for love
I'm sorry you never let your heart run free, that you never learned the difference between love and need
That I never was the monster you wanted me to be
But I won't apologize for love, no, I won't apologize for love


     It never was a contest, don't treat it like a game
     Stop looking for a saviour, or just someone to blame
     'Cause I'll stand for all that's true, and I will not be ashamed of love love love love love


My wish for you is that you one day stop reeling, make peace with your past and live with feeling
I hope you choose the path of healing
And don't apologize for love love love
I won't apologize for love


- Alyssa Wright, 2008

1 comment: